The Downtown Denver Partnership recognized the impact of its place-based economic development strategy...
Building an Economically Powerful Center City
The 2007 Downtown Area Plan is the guiding vision for a livable, healthy, economically vibrant and exciting Downtown Denver.
In 2007, the Downtown Denver Partnership and the City and County of Denver, with funding support from the Downtown Denver Business Improvement District and numerous other public and private entities, convened the community to develop a bold vision to achieve a vibrant, economically healthy, growing and vital center city. With this 20-year vision as our guide, an unparalleled bias for action, and vision set firmly on building an economically powerful center city, we have seen incredible progress in our dedicated and sustained efforts to realize each of the plan’s vision elements.
Downtown Denver must solidify its reputation as the region’s economic, cultural and recreational capital.
To accomplish this, the Downtown Area Plan establishes five vision elements:
- A prosperous city– attracting jobs, growth and investment
- A walkable city – putting pedestrians first
- A diverse city– being a socially and economically inclusive place
- A distinctive city– cultivating a mosaic of urban districts
- A green city– building a greener Denver
Within the five vision elements are 19 strategies and projects, including seven transformative projects highlighted for extra emphasis. While all 19 strategy elements are essential to achieving the plan’s vision, seven of them are critical. Without early concentrated effort in these areas, the other elements of the plan will not be as successful. These seven strategies and projects include:
- Energizing the commercial core–bringing downtown to life through projects, installations, events and public spaces
- Building on transit–strengthening and connecting the urban core with increased transit options
- Creating grand boulevards–defining community and facilitating personal interactions on Denver’s major streets
- Embracing adjacent neighborhoods– linking Denver’s neighborhoods with Downtown
- Connecting theAurariaCampus – integrating the campus into the Downtown core
- Downtown’s new neighborhood Arapahoe Square– redeveloping the neighborhood to attract residents and innovative businesses
- A rejuvenated Civic Center– restoring and reactivating this green, distinctive space in the center city