Happy New Year from the Downtown Denver Partnership
2018 was a big year for Downtown Denver. Electric scooters hit the streets and changed the course of our mobility conversations. After ten years of work (and to the delight of residents, employees, and visitors), the downtown Target opened at 16th and California. We navigated the November election, which had an impact on transportation, education, and our parks. Downtown welcomed new companies such as Strava, Facebook, and Quizlet, and celebrated the milestones of Denver-born companies such as SendGrid.
We, as a city, faced unforeseen challenges and were greeted with exciting new opportunities. We took bold steps and made strategic moves to build a welcoming, inclusive and vibrant city. Throughout every challenge and opportunity, and as we took every step and made every move, we as a community embodied the spirit of Denver through collaboration and a “can-do” spirit.
As we pause to reflect on 2018, we are inspired by all of you who helped drive our city-building work forward. The Downtown Denver Partnership is grateful for your leadership and for your support in building a stronger Downtown Denver.
Thanks to your support in 2018, we:
- Took 150 community leaders to Downtown Los Angeles for Urban Exploration to learn about solutions to housing and mobility and to find colorful inspiration in their arts district;
- Delighted downtown pedestrians with the Between Us: The Downtown Denver Alleyways Project, which brought six unique public art installations to underutilized alleyways;
- Advocated for and opposed proposed ballot measures and policies on behalf of the business community and created an election guide to help our Members and stakeholders navigate the robust November ballot;
- Partnered with the City of Denver to launch LIVE Denver, a program that creates immediate affordable housing options by connecting vacant rental units with working families and individuals;
- Opened the Skyline Beer Garden, a summer oasis where all could enjoy cold beverages, games and live music in the heart of downtown. This year’s Beer Garden welcomed more than double the amount of patrons as in 2017;
- Transformed downtown into a winter wonderland through events and programs such as the Downtown Denver Rink at Skyline Park, the 9NEWS Parade of Lights, and the New Year’s Eve Fireworks;
- Reimagined A Taste of Colorado, offering 500,000 attendees an elevated food, drink and music experience;
- Launched CityLive, a network of engaged center city residents, to ensure that Denver’s residential community is informed, engaged and inspired;
- Engaged city builders of all ages and experience levels through civic leadership programs such as CityBuild and the Downtown Denver Leadership Program;
- Released reports including the State of Downtown Denver, the Mobility Report and the Development Map to track growth and provide our constituents with data they need to make important decisions;
- Convened the Upper Downtown Task Force who are working to revitalize the Upper Downtown district to the benefit of employees and residents alike;
- Served thousands of entrepreneurs at The Commons on Champa, furthering downtown’s culture of entrepreneurship;
- Curated a jam-packed week of content for Denver Startup Week, the largest free entrepreneurial event of its kind;
- Launched a new brand and website and opened a brand-new office space (come see us!), aligning our visual identity and workspace with the high-caliber work we do;
- ….and much more.
We know that the work doesn’t stop here. In 2019, it is critical that we work together to build a more inclusive city. From housing to transportation to resources for aspiring entrepreneurs, we must ensure that our city is serving the needs of everyone. We look forward to continuing to advocate for a stronger mobility network and to recruit amenities that will further our goal to be a 24/7 downtown.
And most of all, we look forward to our continued partnership with you.
From all of us at the Downtown Denver Partnership, happy New Year and cheers to an exciting, collaborative, and prosperous 2019!